Sunday, March 17, 2013

Getting to Uganda

Greetings from Uganda!
Wow - talk about culture shock. It's been 4 years since I've been in Africa, and while everything is similar to Tanzania, I had just forgotten how different it is. I'll admit I felt a bit overwhelmed this morning, but after meeting up with a classmate, Natalie, and having lunch with some girls that have been here I've been reassured that these 8 weeks are doable!

To backtrack a bit, let me rewind to this morning. I arrived in Kampala around 0430 and proceeded smoothly through baggage claim and customs. I was amazed at how well the day had started, but that all ended when my ride didn't show up. After being accosted by several cab drivers, I made my way to a bench with another Mzungu and hestitantly asked "Waiting for your ride, too?" Thankfully, Benjamin also spoke English and I found out that he had been unable to reach his girlfriend, who was supposed to be picking him up from the airport. We sat together for close to 3 hours, debating whether to cab into town, wait for his girlfriend, or wait until 9 when Danielle, another classmate of mine, was supposed to get in. At one point I jokingly asked him "Have you ever seen Taken? How do I know you aren't a serial killer or looking to abduct me?" We both had a good laugh, but a little piece of me was still slightly hesitant to share a cab with this stranger. Literally right as we decided to head to the cab line, his girlfriend called to say that there had been an accident with a taxi and she would be there shortly. He turned out to NOT be a serial killer with an incredibly sweet girlfriend, and they didn't charge me for the cab ride! So thankful for good-hearted people in the world.

On the plus side, I did get to see this gorgeous sunrise from the airport!


I hope everyone is having a wonderful St. Patty's Day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment