Sunday, March 10, 2013

Ciao, Iowa!


After arriving two hours early for my flight (WHEN will I learn that you NEVER need two hours to check in at the Des Moines airport??), I’ve got some time to kill, so I figured I’d try to be good about writing. As excited as I’ve been about this trip, I have to admit I freaked out a bit this morning. 2 ½ months is a LONG time! When I think about all that has happened in my life in the last few months, I can’t believe I’ll be out of the country for that same chunk of time. Also, I find it hard to believe that I’ll actually be a doctor just 5 days after I get back to the states.

In the immediate future, I am so excited for this trip to Italy! I’ll arrive in Rome at 0920 Monday morning and immediately head to the Cinque Terre. I’ll be staying in one of the smaller villages – Manarola, and spend a couple of days hiking along the coast and drinking some a lot of the local wine. For anyone not familiar with the 5 Terre, here’s the Wikipedia link. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinque_Terre

Wednesday afternoon I head back to Rome and spend 3 days exploring. I was a huge fan of Angels and Demons a few years ago, so I’m pretty thrilled to be there during conclave. I didn’t plan this, but I’ll be hitting 3 of the 4 main sites from the book AND I’ll be going down into the Necropolis.  While I doubt that the camerlengo is behind the pope’s resignation and bent on becoming pope himself, a girl can hope!

On Saturday, I’ll fly down to Kampala and get ready to start 2 months at Mulago Hospital. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mulago_Hospital I’ll send more updates along the way! Ciao, Iowa! 

No comments:

Post a Comment